Lead based paint is commonly found in homes built prior to 1978, and is still present in millions of homes throughout the country. Lead is a toxic metal that can cause health symptoms such as behavioral issues, learning disabilities, and seizures. Other symptoms may include, nausea, tiredness, irritability, headaches, and stomachaches. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, homes built prior to 1940 are 87% more likely to contain lead based paint, homes built between 1940 and 1959 are 69% more likely to contain lead based paint, and homes built between 1960 and 1977 are 24% more likely to have paint contained with lead than homes built after 1977.
Lead based paint in good condition is generally not a problem. It is only considered to be a potential safety hazard if the paint is deteriorating, chipping, peeling, cracking or if you need to sand surfaces with paint contained with lead. It can also become a safety concern when it is present on surfaces that children chew on, like vintage toys. Lead can also be found in the soil, yards, playgrounds, drinking water, water service lines, and dust. Some common areas where lead could be present are windows, doors, trim, stairs, and railings.
At Nordic Environmental, we typically test for lead by collecting paint chips from a surface. It is important to understand that lead based paint can be found under layers of paint that do not contain lead. Thorough testing is necessary.
The following document provided by the EPA will help you determine if your family is at risk for lead poisoning:
Nordic Environmental has a wide experience in testing and inspecting homes for lead based paint.